Cologne (Koeln), Germany

I had a brief stop-over at Cologne (Koeln) - Germany, when I went to Amsterdam and used my time there to look around some parts of the city which were near to the train station (Bahnhof). The famous cathedral of Colgone, known in German as 'Koelner Dom' or 'Hohe Domkirche St.Peter Und Maria' is adjacent to the Bahnhof and so, that was the first place that I saw in Cologne. This cathedral is a Wold Heritage Site and one of the best-known architechtural monuments in Germany. It is also one of the world's largest churches and the largest Gothic church in Northern Europe. Also, scouring the internet and doing some research, I found that this cathedral was the tallest structure in the world during 1880 to 1884 until the completion of Washington Monument followed by Eiffel Tower. Here are some pics of the cathedral, that I shot:







This cathedral is a great landmark for Cologne and can be seen from every part of the city. Here's a pic that I took from some distance:





Cologne lies on river Rhine and boasts of one of the oldest European universities. It is home to a good number of museums and hundreds of galleries. In these days, you can say that it has a good mix of art, history and modernistic stuff with cosmopolitan atmosphere. Its also famous for the carnival, which happens in February, every year. As per the gossip, I also know that its a gay city.

With the time that I had, I just walked around and sometimes used the Metro/tram and explored some parts of the city. Here are some pics of the 'Rhine' river from the 'Rodenkirchen Bridge' :











And here are some more pics of Cologne, that I shot from across the university grounds:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.